Thursday 14 August 2014

The Lord is My Shepherd


Karen recently finished a painting she was doing for a friend. It was a painting representing Psalm 23, The Lord is my Shepherd. It's been in the corner of our lounge for the past two years, so it's strange to see it gone. The room seems empty without it. I've also noticed that I'm thinking Psalm 23 a whole lot less. You see, every time I looked at it, I thought the psalm. Which was a good thing, cause it's such a great psalm, full of some awesome truths about trusting in God and how He feels about me.







I have a similar thing at school. Opposite my chair, Karen painted me a picture of some hills and mountains and when I'm at the end of my tether (which happens regularly!), I look up to the hills from whence cometh my help. It doesn't magically solve my problems or even necessarily make things better, but it does remind me of my Father. It reminds me of my position as his son. And that's always a good thing. 

I also used to have a dot on my whiteboard and everytime I saw it I would say
Psalm 86:1

Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;

I no longer do, but for a while, it brought God into my work, when otherwise I perhaps wouldn't have.


Other cultures and streams of Christianity repeat psalms or creeds. Some say prayers as they fiddle with beads. Sometimes these things have become empty and religious, but ultimately these things came about because, like me, people wanted to remind themselves of the truths of God on a regular basis. I think there is real wisdom in that.

It got me thinking of other ways I can place truths from the bible into my life in a regular, non-religious way. I once had the Nicene Creed on the back of the toilet door, but I never memorised anything more than the first few lines.

Perhaps there is a way you can work the bible in your life? I could probably do with something around Matthew 7:5 in my car somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment